[Zope] why use zope?

Jochen Haeberle listen@MIDRAS.de
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:14:13 +0100

Hi "-",

At 9:17 Uhr +0800 27.01.2000, - wrote:
>hi all,
>
>firstly, it's not me asking that question.  it's the users.  here's the
>situation.:
>
>we have developed a ZClass that caters for the publishing/serving of
>news items.
>  we already have contents done in quark, pagemaker and other formats.  users
>(editorial) currently cut and paste from the source.
>
>when the users saw that they have to cut and paste, they asked why?  and they
>pointed to frontpage, pagemill, etc as a solution.

Well I guess the failure is sticking with the "old" way of publishing
- beeing print oriented. Print by far is the slowest medium today,
the fastest is defenitely the Internet, when it comes to mass media.

So for any publisher the task should be to move new, fresh content to
the Internet and see that the other desired media follows as soon as
possible.

This way you will probably look for an Internet application that's
db-based and open to the rest of the world. Editors would publish
their content to the web application and after review, the content is
published to the world! Doing solutions to bring the content to
XPress or other publishing software is fairly easy then. So the crux
is to bring the content to the ideal form.

What system is better suited to edit contetn for such a publishing
process than Zope?

I think if you are taking the Internet seriously as a channel for
your publication, it's time to rethink your publishing process
Internet-based!

On the other hand, I don't really see your point... when using
Frontpage, your people would still be cutting and pasting... so what
should be better with FrontPage or PageMill??? It get's even worse as
the editorial staff has to work in a graphical environment and they
will tend to try to change things, wich get's really bad for you
technical staff without any real work beeing done (don't tell that to
your editors...)

BTW, a friend of mine offered a tool, a plugin for XPress that allows
you to layout pages as XML and directly post it to a web application
like from a form. This is best suited for applications like catalogs,
but might work with a news layout as well... Can't remember the name,
though, look for it at <http://www.hexmac.com>.

Regards from Germany

Jochen