[Zope] automatic link adjustment

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:33:48 +0200

Hi Ragnar !

Ragnar Beer wrote:
> I just ran into some kind of administrative problem: my students are
> not so willing anymore when it comes to changing links for the third
> revision of our website. There are about 200 links to change manually
> and they have my full sympathy. Apart from that this process is quite
> error-prone and always needs a lot of testing.
>
> Is it possible to have automatic link adjustment in Zope if you
> change an objects name? I mean like in Dreamweaver or whatever
> website management programm so that it would ask whether to adjust
> the referring links if you change a page's name?
>
> I know we could do the management partly with Dreamweaver and put the
> files via ftp but whatever sends cleartext passwords is not an
> option. So ftp is out.
>
> Any other way?

The Zope way would be to consider this beforehand by splitting the
URLs into a part that may change over time and a part that is more
constant. The changing part of your URL should then be a variable
somewhere on top of the hierarchy, and the complete URL can then
be combined with the constant part further down the hierarchy.

Perhaps you can motivate your students by telling them that they only
have to do this one more time ;-)

Best regards,

Maik Röder