[Zope] Help with ZPoPyDA

Nitesh Dhanjani nitesh@expert.cc.purdue.edu
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:39:27 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 jpenny@universal-fasteners.com wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 01:42:48PM -0500, Nitesh Dhanjani wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Sebastien Douche wrote:
> >
> > > Le Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 10:49:27AM -0500, Nitesh Dhanjani à écrit:
> > > # Im trying to access a postres database from within zope. I have
> > > # ZPoPyDA-0.5.tar.gz installed along with PoPy-1.2.
> > > #
> > > # The connection string Im using is something like:
> > > # user=thierry host=myhost dbname=test port=5432 password=mypassword
> > >

> > Yes I know its an example, but did not want to post host+user info to the
> > entire mailing list.
> >
> > I cannot seem to connect to the postgres database using psql, and get:
> > Failed to authenticate client as Postgres user 'bob' using <unknown
> > authentication type>: be_recvauth: unrecognized message type: 131072
> >
> > so its probably not a problem with ZPoPyDA. If anyone has come across this
> > error or might know of a solution, please let me know.
>
> Could you please post a bit more information:
>
> platform postgres is running on:
SunOS 5.6 Generic_105181-19 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20

Client (zope and psql) running on Linux 2.2.16 i686

> postgres version:
The person who installed postgres on the sparc machine isnt around
anymore, im still trying to figure this out. The postmaster or postres
executable do not have a "-v" or "-V" option that spits out the version.

The client side psql is 6.5.3

> are internet domain sockets enabled on postgres:
I usually startup postgres like this "postmaster &", and was told to
start it up with the -i switch. However postmaster doesnt seem to accept
that switch:
% postmaster -h
usage: postmaster [options..]
        -a authsys      do/do not permit use of an authentication system
        -B nbufs        set number of shared buffers
        -b backend      use a specific backend server executable
        -d [1|2|3]      set debugging level
        -D datadir      set data directory
        -m      start up multiplexing backends
        -n              don't reinitialize shared memory after abnormal exit
        -o option       pass 'option' to each backend servers
        -p port         specify port for postmaster to listen on
        -S              silent mode (disassociate from tty)
        -s              send SIGSTOP to all backend servers if one dies

> was PoPy compiled locally:
yes, but this shouldnt matter, all im trying to do now is connect to a
postgres database using psql.

> are multiple versions of postgres residing on your db host:
nope

thanks!
nitesh