[Zope] Help with ZPoPyDA

jpenny@universal-fasteners.com jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 19:28:39 -0400

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 05:39:27PM -0500, Nitesh Dhanjani wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 jpenny@universal-fasteners.com wrote:

> > > Yes I know its an example, but did not want to post host+user info to the
> > > entire mailing list.
> > >
> > > I cannot seem to connect to the postgres database using psql, and get:
> > > Failed to authenticate client as Postgres user 'bob' using <unknown
> > > authentication type>: be_recvauth: unrecognized message type: 131072
> > >
> > > so its probably not a problem with ZPoPyDA. If anyone has come across this
> > > error or might know of a solution, please let me know.
> >
> > Could you please post a bit more information:
> >
> > platform postgres is running on:
> SunOS 5.6 Generic_105181-19 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20
>
> Client (zope and psql) running on Linux 2.2.16 i686
>
> > postgres version:
> The person who installed postgres on the sparc machine isnt around
> anymore, im still trying to figure this out. The postmaster or postres
> executable do not have a "-v" or "-V" option that spits out the version.
>
> The client side psql is 6.5.3

Can psql on the linux connect to the postmaster on the sparc?
(If I am right about the postmaster supporting only unix domain sockets,
it should not.)

> > are internet domain sockets enabled on postgres:
> I usually startup postgres like this "postmaster &", and was told to
> start it up with the -i switch. However postmaster doesnt seem to accept
> that switch:
> % postmaster -h
> usage: postmaster [options..]
>         -a authsys      do/do not permit use of an authentication system
>         -B nbufs        set number of shared buffers
>         -b backend      use a specific backend server executable
>         -d [1|2|3]      set debugging level
>         -D datadir      set data directory
>         -m      start up multiplexing backends
>         -n              don't reinitialize shared memory after abnormal exit
>         -o option       pass 'option' to each backend servers
>         -p port         specify port for postmaster to listen on
>         -S              silent mode (disassociate from tty)
>         -s              send SIGSTOP to all backend servers if one dies

OK, you are dead in the water at this point...you can use only Unix domain
sockets and PoPy needs internet domain sockets.  (Unix domain sockets can
only talk when both client and server are on the same machine.)

> > was PoPy compiled locally:
> yes, but this shouldnt matter, all im trying to do now is connect to a
> postgres database using psql.

It does matter for this reason:  libpq changed between the
6.3 series and the 6.5 series.  A client compiled against a
newer libpq cannot connect to a postmaster compiled against
the older libpq.  I know that the version distributed by mixadlive.com
was compiled with the new libpq.

> > are multiple versions of postgres residing on your db host:
> nope

My best guess:  you need to build new postgres on both machines.  For
locking performance, you certainly want a more recent version of postgres,
anyway!  The version you have almost certainly does table level locking.
You are going to have to rebuild the sparc's copy.  And dump and restore
may get to be 'interesting'.