[Zope] Dynamically Picking which object to display

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 20:06:41 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Lee" <jlee@rri-medtech.com>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 3:50 PM
Subject: [Zope] Dynamically Picking which object to display

> I'm fairly new to Zope, so this may be a dumb question, and my vocabulary
could
> be wrong, so please bear with me.
>
> I'm in the middle of building an e-commerce solution for my company, and
we're
> evaluating Zope (and PHP and Servlets, but that's immaterial) as the
platform on
> which to base this solution.  That doesn't necessarily mean anything other
than
> to give you context.  One of the problems I'm facing right now is how to
display
> a particular object based on a value.  For example, let's say a user tries
> access www.foo.com/MyAccount/CCInfo.  If the user has authenticated, I
need to
> show him the obviously sensitive data he has requested.  If he is not
> authenticated, however, I need to give him a login screen which, for
argument's
> sake, is in the DTML document Login in the root folder.  How would I go
about
> doing that?  Am I making sense?  Thanks...

You're asking quite a reasonable question. If you use one of the alternate
authentication systems (like LoginManager or Generic User Folder), you can
make a login scheme that uses cookies with a custom login screen. I'm hoping
to soon have a package that works with LoginManager to be a little more plug
and play.

The way it works is pretty straightforward. You just set the permissions
such that the user would have to authenticate in order to view that data.
Zope's authentication machinery will kick in, and LoginManager would then
put your login screen up.

Kevin