[Zope] Re: Is DTML a bastardized form of XML, or valid XML?

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:45:58 PDT

--- In zope@egroups.com, "Kevin Howe" <khowe@p...> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>just wondering if DTML is actually a valid form of XML, or a bastardized
>version of XML created specifically for ZOPE.

Neither. It's not XML. It's the superposition of two layers: the logic layer
and the presentation layer. Ideally, I would like to have a Java applet that
parses and splits the DTML management interface into two panels. I'll try to
depict my imaginary DTML syntax and editor in ASCII text (I apologize
beforehand if I don't succeed... but let me try it). In my opinion, DTML
should not be put into XML form, instead, it should be put into Python
syntax form. The rest should be handled through a good GUI (Graphical User
Interface), with fancy stuff like collapsable panel items. I hope Digicool
is doing something like this with their Mozilla project.

Hung Jung

          Logics Panel        |            Presentation Panel
=============================|==============================================
if n = 3:                    |<body>

 >------------------------+----------------------------------------------
     >                        |<h1>This headline happens only for n=3</h1>
     >                        |<br>

 >------------------------+----------------------------------------------
     walk sql_select_mytable: |
         if sequence_start:   |
             >----------------+------------------------------------------
             >                |<table border=1 cellpadding=2 cellspacing=0>
             >                |      <th>Value</th>
             >                |      </tr>

 >--->----------------+----------------------------------------------
         >                    |      </tr>