[Zope] Zope Question : Virtual folders / URL's

Ian Sparks Ian Sparks" <isparks@wmute.u-net.com
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 22:40:30 -0000

Thanks Mike,

You are right, root/Users/<usernames> makes more sense than
root/<usernames>.

I looked at what you said, went away and read ZSQL Methods user guide
(again).

Now I'm back.....

 Lets say you had two ZSQL Methods in the
root folder named 'Users' and 'Flavor'.  You can now do:

mysite.com/Users/Fred/Flavor/Cherry/rss

Users traverses 'Fred' as an argument, then *acquires* Flavor, which
applies Cherry as a argument, then acquires rss.
<<

So my Zope folder layout looks like this :

root
   index_html (default)
   Users (SQL method)
   Flavor (SQL method)

I assume I would also need a DTML Document called "rss" because the SQL
methods can't actually deliver any content to the client browser?

So, if you would be so kind, lead me through how Zope works on this call :

mysite.com/Users/Fred/Flavor/Cherry/rss

Zope starts to traverse the call from left-to-right?

finds "Users", its a SQL method which takes an argument, aha! the argument
is "Fred",

[Does Zope now run the Users SQL with that argument?]

ok, what's left : "Flavor", okay, I have a "Flavor" SQL method here and that
takes an argument too, "Cherry" is that argument.

Finally, Zope finds "rss", if this is a DTMLDocument or something "servable"
it runs it and returns it to the client?

If "rss" wasn't there it grabs the index_html page and serves that?

=======

Thanks for your help.

Like many others I suspect, I see Zope through a cloud. Sometimes I see the
outlines of it and it glimmers! But I just can't grasp a picture of the
whole.

- Ian Sparks.