[Zope] Zope Question : Virtual folders / URL's

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 09 Mar 2000 15:10:38 -0800

Ian Sparks wrote:

> Thanks Mike,
>
> You are right, root/Users/<usernames> makes more sense than
> root/<usernames>.
>
> I looked at what you said, went away and read ZSQL Methods user guide
> (again).
>
> Now I'm back.....
>

> So my Zope folder layout looks like this :
>
> root
>    index_html (default)
>    Users (SQL method)
>    Flavor (SQL method)
>
> I assume I would also need a DTML Document called "rss"

For the sake of this discussion, yes.

> because the SQL
> methods can't actually deliver any content to the client browser?

They return query results, which are a sequence of record objects.

> So, if you would be so kind, lead me through how Zope works on this call :
>
> mysite.com/Users/Fred/Flavor/Cherry/rss
>
> Zope starts to traverse the call from left-to-right?

Yes.

> finds "Users", its a SQL method which takes an argument, aha! the argument
> is "Fred",
>
> [Does Zope now run the Users SQL with that argument?]

If you tell it to, check out the 'Advanced' tab on ZSQL Methods.
(First, don't forget to specify one argument to the method or else you
won't see what I'm talking about).

> ok, what's left : "Flavor", okay, I have a "Flavor" SQL method here and that
> takes an argument too, "Cherry" is that argument.

First it finds Flavor, then it traversed into Flavor, then Flavor find
the next element as its argument (once again, if you tell it to).  So
essentially the answer is yes.

> Finally, Zope finds "rss", if this is a DTMLDocument or something "servable"
> it runs it and returns it to the client?

Yes.

> If "rss" wasn't there it grabs the index_html page and serves that?

If rss wasn't there and it was in your URL then you would get a 404
NotFoundError.  If 'Cherry' is your last argument then yes, it would
acquire the first 'index_html' object that it found, which in this case
is the one in the root folder.