[Zope] Client-side Zope

Flemming Funch ffunch@worldtrans.org
Thu, 09 Mar 2000 16:38:49 -0800

At 10:50 AM 3/9/00 -0800, you wrote:
>[Jerry Spicklemire, on Thu, 09 Mar 2000]
>
>:: One point that I think is still evolving is a clear set of guidelines
>:: regarding what data is held in Zope, and what should be in other formats,
>:: such as Gadfly. As long as we diligently keep DTML doing templating, and
>:: avoid mixing tabular data and static content in with ZODB objects, it
>:: should be fairly straightforward to do Zope Exports of the Zope Framework,
>:: and file copies, or native exports of data in other "backends".
>
>Evolving set of guidelines?
>
>Can someone in the know take a crack at setting these down in writing?

Yeah, that would be very helpful.

As a Zope Newbie, who's developed lots of database stuff in PHP and Perl, I
am unclear on whether I'm "supposed to" try to make everything an object in
ZODB.

Say I'm making a repository of documents, like articles or e-mail messages,
and I expect to end up with 100s of thousands of those, should I
confidently work on making them all Zope objects, or should I stick with
mySQL records and/or files in the file system, like I normally would?

- Flemming

   / * \  New Civilization Network / Synchronicity Networks
  / * * \                ffunch@worldtrans.org