[Zope] efficient internal redirect

Andy Heath a.k.heath@open.ac.uk
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:33:43 +0000

> Take a look at my Redirector product, which does this very thing -- it

Thankyou for replying

Whilst this is I'm sure a useful mechanism redirecting
whole folders is overkill for what I need to do.  I have
many links into a tree and wish to have a very simple format
for the external links and an internal mapping mechanism
which maps each link to its real URL.  My question remains.
What's the most run-time-efficient (not development-time-efficient)
way of doing it?  I think you gave me the quickest development
route which is not quite what I was asking.

Full question below:

> > I have some pages within zope which are linked
> > to externally (from non-zope pages).  I want
> > to have some sort of internal index so that I can
> > move the zope pages around completely within zope
> > (move a page and change its index) without breaking
> > or having to change the external in-pointing links.
> >
> > This mechanism will come into play for nearly every
> > page in my system so I'm looking
> > for the most efficient code to do this.
> >
> > My thinking about possibilities for the index :-
> >
> > methods in a folder
> > properties of a folder
> > properties of a dtml-doc
> > some other sort of data structure
> >
> > For the redirection its obviously more efficient to
> > do it something like dtml-var rather than redirect
> > back to the client but (as my other posts show) I'm
> > often really struggling to get my object references
> > right (only partial understanding - looking forward to
> > better documentation) I'd appreciate some help here
> > too.

Andy

Andy Heath                    a.k.heath@open.ac.uk
The Open University           +44 (0) 114 2885738