[Zope] Lost Objects after System Crash (Zope 2.1.5 on Win32)

Joachim Werner joachim.werner@iuveno.de
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:59:40 +0100

> I upgraded to Zope 2.1.5 (Win 32) Saturday and carried out changes in the
> database (eg. created new ZClasses, added ZClass instances, etc.)
>
> I had a nasty system crash (Win 95) around midnight Saturday. When I
> reopened Zope I realised the database was back to its 16:22 status:
> - All new objects had vanished.
> - The last transaction logged in the Undo list is dated about 16:22.
> - The very Data.fs in the filesystem is stamped 16:22 if you can believe it.
>
> I checked the Z2.log and it shows these missing changes. So I didn't dreamt
> doing them.
>
> I suppose these changes are lost?

I had the same experience a few days ago with a 2.1.4 installation running
under Win98. I have a couple of different Zope instances running on Linux and
Windows, but that was the first data loss. It seemed to me as if the session
had been running in "demo" mode so that changes would not be really persistent.
As in Alexandre's case, I first thought I was dreaming because there was no
hint of my data except for the log files.

I suggest some further investigation into that. If Zope really lost things that
easily, I'd consider not using ZODB for production sites ...

BTW: In my case it also was a Windows system crash that caused the data loss.

Joachim Werner.