[Zope] Performance Testing / Expections

Ben Leslie benno@sesgroup.net
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:01:14 +1000

> > I guess how I would like to know if anyone out there knows how to improve
> > this performance at all. Can I throw memory and processors at it and make
> > it go away? Obviously there are some things in the highly dynamic bit
> > which I will need to speed up, however how can I make just normal
> > dtml execute faster? The prospect of ZEO has certainly helped in this
> > area but surely I must be able to sqeeze some more performance out of this
> > machine.
>
> 1. Generate Expires headers for your pages, and maybe handle
> If-Modified-Since headers too (see OFS.Image.File for an example of the
> latter.)  This lets the browser cache results of yor pages, which won't up
> your requests-per-second but will reduce the number of requests you have to
> handle.

Ok. Thanks, I didn't think of that. This should probably help quite a bit.

> 2. Cache results of dynamic pages and then serve that up instead.  This can
> speed things up by a factor of 5 for pages that are only a little dynamic.

Yeah I am currently thinking of the best way todo this. I guess I now reach
another point. Does anyone know how to make External Methods persitent, or
would I have to store cached information on the filesystem. Does ZCache work
for External Methods, are there any plans todo this? I don't mind writing
code for ZCache todo this if the current framework easily allows this.

Thanks,

Benno