[Zope] manage_clone issue

Gregor Hoffleit gregor@hoffleit.de
Mon, 1 May 2000 16:22:00 +0200

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 07:53:54PM -0500, Stephan Richter wrote:
> > > PS: Zope should not be installed under /usr/lib/zope and /var/lib/zop=
e.

> >We should tell that to the debian mantainer (flight@debian.org), I use
> >a stock potato.
>=20
> Yeah, that's right. I saw that on a Debian system. Mmmh, I hope he is on=
=20
> the Zope mailing list.

I am.

Well, indeed the Debian Zope package installs Zope with
SOFTWARE_HOME=3D/usr/lib/zope and INSTANCE_HOME=3D/var/lib/zope. This was d=
one
to comply with the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS), which is mandatory
for Debian packages. Some principles of FHS are separation of mutable and
static data (/var vs. /usr), separation of architecture-dependent and
independent data (e.g. /usr/lib vs. /usr/share) and separation of local and
vendor-provided data (/usr vs. /usr/local resp. /opt).

Debian's interpretation of this is that /usr (and /var) is the domain of the
Debian package manager and shouldn't be touched by a local sysadmin or user.
OTOH, Debian packages should reserve /usr/local for local data as installed
by the local sysadmin. All of this is described in the Debian Policy
document (http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/).

If any problems arise out of this, please mail me, or report them as a bug
with the Debian Bug Tracking system (http://bugs.debian.org/). I'd like to
stress that Zope supports this kind of installation scheme.

    Gregor
   =20

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

--huq684BweRXVnRxX--