[Zope] FileSystem Storage (was: Re: [Zope] Zope's scalability across multiple web servers)

Jason Spisak 444@hiretechs.com
Mon, 01 May 2000 15:44:11 GMT

Michael Bernstein:

> Basically, the ZODB is optimized in design for many reads and few
> writes, and the filesystem is not. This means that in many-write
> situations, the ZODB is working much harder than usual, and performance
> of the site will go down faster than under an equivalent number of
> reads.

That makes sense.

> > > statistically it should even out with as many 'up' moderations being
> > > discarded accidentally as 'down' ones.
> >
> > Is it because there is no locking?
>
> Yes.

 Okay.  I get it.  So if the files system took care of the
journaling/transaction end of things then that would close that hole?

> I beleive that this tradeoff (transactional integrity vs. efficient
> writes) would be made irrelevant if the FS in question was either
> ReiserFS or the IRIX Journalling FS, but I don't really know enough
> about either to be certain.

Is there currently a Product that uses the filesystem like you are talking
about?  FSSession?  Is there a product to store the all my ZClass instances
let's say on the file system right now?

All my best,

Jason Spisak
CIO