[Zope] FileSystem Storage

Jason Spisak 444@hiretechs.com
Tue, 02 May 2000 19:26:40 GMT

Pavlos:

> On Tue, 2 May 2000, Lalo Martins wrote:
>
> > Still I'd like to see a "filesystem directory tree storage"
> > (but what about version control? Undo? The whole transaction
> > infrastructure?)
>
> That would be the difficult part. I suppose one way is to use the 'spare'
> attributes on some new filesystems to store transaction ids. Then commands
> like rm/mv/cp etc will be replaced with their transactional versions so
> they will ensure transactional integrity. In other words I have no clue

Me neither in that respect.

> Regarding archiving and distributing Data.fs files very efficient
> algorithms specific to Data.fs can be written.

This is what I'm talking about.  Splitting the Data.fs into pieces and
maybe even each object has it's own piece with revisions of that object
stored in it's piece.  This offers some interesting pluses.  Anyone see
anything really glaringly wrong with this?

>As Data.fs only appends
> data (with the exception of packing) one can quickly locate any new
> appends (based on transaction ids) and distribute them to different
> servers. Additionaly the changes can be stored incrementaly so you could
> recreate a Data.fs file for a specified date.

Oooh.

>I really wished I had some
> time to work on it ... I don't thing it would be very diffult. In other
> words I am clueless again ...

I am just finishing the "learning Python" O'Reilly book (just to let you
know where my skills are)  But this sounds too interesting not to try.

Again, does anyone see anything glaringly wrong with this?

All my best,

Jason Spisak
CIO
HireTechs.com