[Zope] Newbie questions and discussion

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Thu, 11 May 2000 23:13:12 +0200

>1)  Our designers are big Dreamweaver fans.  How would we use it in
conjunction with Zope?  I know there is a current thread about this.

Perhaps some users can shed some light on how to use third party web
publishing/design/layout tools such as Dreamweaver, Frontpage (God forbid),
Allair Homesite, etc, with Zope.

[rh]As long as they speak ftp with your Zope server, you'll be able to use
them (even Frontpage, or at least Frontpage light). Dreamweaver works well
(see Chris Withers' post on the thread you mentioned before for details);
the only problem is it will not recognize 'files' without extension (if
employed cleverly this may be turned into an advantage) . Homesite works
very well in my experience (it doesn't speak dtml though, but then again
nothing does
;-( ).

Many of these tools have their own way of managing websites.  Does this mean
we have to "disable/ignore" these features, and just treat
Dreamweaver/Frontpage/etc as a layout and design tool, and thus not benefit
from the "libraries" or "template" functions?

[rh]Yep, unless you're prepared to hack your way around. On the other hand:
the template and library functions are taken over by Zope, only in a usually
more sophisticated and maintainable fashion.

<snip 2-4, someone else may answer this better than me>

Rik