[Zope] Accouting software?

Nicolas MONNET nico@monnet.to
Fri, 12 May 2000 13:26:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Richard Moon wrote:

|Sage provide an ODBC driver whioh you can use from Zope, but it is read-only.
|
|Navision will run on SQL Server I believe so in theory you can update its
|tables directly from Zope, I've never used Navision myself so I don't know
|how easy it would be in practice.

That's exactly the two I've looked at.

SAGE is a huge piece of bloat. It's database backend sucks for all I know
-- that's what we're using it. You have to run through a lengthy recovery
/ checking process every time it does'nt shut down normally; then, this
process fails often. Plus read-only is not enough.

Navision is expensive, but that should be ok. We are talking to a
consulting company which would be able to develop an interface for us to
talk to (XML-RPC or somesuch would be nice, for example). It's quite open.

They seem to be pushing very their "Webshop" product however. Without
having seen it yet, though, I'm very wary of the security issues. Those
guys don't understand the web, obviously. I still have in mind that crappy
FileMaker Pro web interface, for instance: quick and easy, and a total
security disaster.

However, I'd be even more interested in a product that directly talks to a
standard database like Oracle.

Also maybe something like SAP might do the job, but then THAT might be too
expensive.

Anyone knows who I could talk to?

--
Nicolas MONNET, Technical Director, IT-Xchange

<URL:http://www.it-xchange.com>
<URL:mailto:nico@it-xchange.com>
<URL:mailto:nico@monnet.to>