[Zope] Building ZPyGreSQLDA on Linux

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 01:20:05 PDT

Hi,

I need help building the PostGreSQL database adapter on Linux.

Sigh... why is installing everything on Linux such a nightmare? ZPyGreSQLDA
installation is in such a primitive stage... I don't understand... it's like
it's written to work with one very particular directory structure at the
author's machine, and the heck with the rest of the world. :) Why not just
write something to build the C Python module in place and then tell the user
to move the compile C Python module (.so) to whereever it needs to be moved?

The problem now is that the ZPyGreSQLDA/Makefile.pre.in has all kinds of
settings of folder structures that don't match with my folder structure.

I get the following error: (yes yes, I have played with PATH and the
<prefix> variable mentioned inside Makefile.pre.in... and by the way, the
FTP site ftp://www.eevolute.com/pub/python/ mentioned in README.linux no
longer exists.)

[hjlu@www src]$ make -f Makefile.pre.in boot
rm -f *.o *~
rm -f *.a tags TAGS config.c Makefile.pre python sedscript
rm -f *.so *.sl so_locations
VERSION=`python -c "import sys; print sys.version[:3]"`; \
installdir=`python -c "import sys; print sys.prefix"`; \
exec_installdir=`python -c "import sys; print sys.exec_prefix"`; \
make -f ./Makefile.pre.in VPATH=. srcdir=. \
        VERSION=$VERSION \
        installdir=$installdir \
        exec_installdir=$exec_installdir \
        Makefile
make[1]: Entering directory
`/u/c2/hjlu/lwc_zope_current/lib/python/Products/ZPy
GreSQLDA/src'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target
`/u/c2/hjlu/lwc_zope/lib/python1.5/config/Ma
kefile', needed by `sedscript'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/u/c2/hjlu/lwc_zope_current/lib/python/Products/ZPyG
reSQLDA/src'
make: *** [boot] Error 2

Not that I like to complain, but every time I run into a trouble, dozens
more people will run into the same problem. I still remember when I
complained about some other database adapter, someone popped up and said "I
have been running it with ZERO problem"... and 3 months later the same
person was screaming about the very database adapter that that supposingly
had "ZERO problem".

Things do improve. I remember the days when Python couldn't be installed
easily, but nowadays even the Tcl/Tk part of Python has been absorbed into a
single installer on Windows system. And it's as trivial as
one-click-does-it-all. PostGreSQL has been around for a while, now. And I
guess we all could do a little bit more towards making the installation of
the adapter easier.

Hung Jung