[Zope] WebDav-support / Index_html versus index.html

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 00:04:37 +0100 (CET)

Pieter Biemond writes:
 > ... access Zope via WebDAV from MS products ....
 > Can anybody answer the following questions:
 > * Has anybody implemented something like this before? Any pittfals I should
 > watch out for?
Search the searchable list archiv.
You will find some article about this issue.

 > * Why is the default file index_html and not index.html
 >   (Windows doesn't want to open files without extensions).
I assume, because preferences of Python, Zope's implementation
language, have had a higher priority than Windows preferences ;-)
Python does not like periods in names.

 > * Should I install 2.2.2. now, or are there any WebDav-updates in 2.2.4?
I do not think, the two version will differ in WebDAV support
(though someone is working on locking through WebDAV).
However, if I would start a new project, I would go for
2.2.4 (I expect less bugs than 2.2.2).

 > * Is it possible to backup all files from Zope easily? (for example use a
 > command-line webdav-client to pull everything out of the Zope database). I
 > would like to have all the files backed up on a regular filesystem, rather
 > than a proprietary database.
You can do that.

But you will lose information. Objects in Zope not only have
content, but properties, security attributes, ownership,
modification times ....
All these will not be extractable by WebDAV.

I would go for the backup of the complete proprietary database.
At least as the primary backup. As an additional safety
belt, I might think about backing up the content independently.

Dieter