[Zope] Index_html versus index.html

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:27:28 +0000

Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Pieter Biemond writes:
>
>  > * Why is the default file index_html and not index.html
>  >   (Windows doesn't want to open files without extensions).
> I assume, because preferences of Python, Zope's implementation
> language, have had a higher priority than Windows preferences ;-)
> Python does not like periods in names.

That's not really true, python doesn't seem to care a lot about what's
in a name.
If you have periods, it just means you need things like:

getattr(getattr(getattr(globals(),'x.y'), 'z.a'), 'index.html')

as opposed to:

x_y.z_a.index_html

I think there's a strong case for index.html, especially since search
engines and lots of HTTP authoring tools (eg DreamWeaver) like/need
those periods to work properly.

We actually use index.html quite a lot, with a dtml method as index_html
which solves the problems:

<dtml-var index.html>

neat, huh? ;-)

cheers,