[Zope] Looking for Zope vs. Others at-a-glance comparison

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:26:29 -0400

>    Exactly.
>    My concern is to get the right kind of discussion going because it is
going
>    to need some differnt kinds of minds to work together.
>
> This meshes with my thinking recently. I think many in the Zope
> community are "early-adopters" kind of people -- willing to put up
> with spending time to know the ins and outs of DTML or python
> programmers who would do most in python. A python programmer or early
> adopter does not a typical web design team make. Personally. I like the
> notion of a DTML an that you can do a little business logic there if
> you choose to. This issue with DTML in my mind is that its
> syntax/semantics design throws people for loops that can waste their
> time for sometimes days. Early adopters will go through this trial by
> fire. I did and now on the other side I know the gotchas.  Early
> adopters are a special breed of people that will give a new product a
> ring of success but this pool saturates easily, leading a new company
> to the chasm.

Well put.

> To cross the chasm, and reach a broader audience, this trial by fire
> phase of becoming a productive Zope user has to be reduced -- in
> addition to addressing other productivity parts of the bigger product
> pie mentioned in prior messages.
>
> If you are interested in understanding the business of Crossing the
> Chasm, I would recommend a book by the same name.  I think the Zope
> story is still unfolding on how an open source product will cross the
> chasm.
>
> Regards,
> Albert Boulanger
> aboulanger@vPatch.com

Thanks for this. It looks interesting. Google came up with:
http://www.testing.com/writings/reviews/moore-chasm.html
http://www.mit.edu/people/wdc/chasm.html

and a lot of other funny stuff

I recommend Don Norman's "The Invisble Computer".
It belongs on teh same shelf next to 'Crossing the Chasm'.

regards
- JASon