[Zope] Bookmark manager protype

Chris Gray cpgray@library.uwaterloo.ca
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:40:41 -0400 (EDT)

I've got a proof-of-concept prototype of a bookmark manager up and running
and if anyone is interested I'd like people to try it out and give me some
feedback.

The idea was to allow creation of a Web-accessible set of bookmarks as
easily as creation of bookmarks local to a browser without having to fill
out forms.  It came out of frustration from trying to keep track of
bookmarks in multiple browsers on multiple computers at multiple
locations.  I wanted it all to work on the Web and not depend on locally
installed software so I could even get to my bookmarks when visiting a
friend or at a public access machine.

I've done it by having Zope act in effect like a proxy browser or a
Browser-in-a-Browser.  You browse the web in the main frame of a page and
the upper frame has a form to enter a new address and links to create or
view bookmarks.

The main problem is that heavily scripted pages often don't work in the
proxy browser, so I've provided a means at any step of the way to escape
the proxy browser to look at the page directly.

If you're interested, you can see the prototype at:
http://cpgray.lib.uwaterloo.ca:8180/noddies/bookmarkerExperiment/browserFrame

One 'feature' I have noticed is that it doesn't seem to like URLs
consisting of a domain only (e.g. http://www.zope.org/
vs. http://www.zope.org/index_html).

Cheers,
Chris