[Zope] Re: Zope 2.3.0 Under Windows 95

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:08:36 -0400

John Gregory is still having trouble connecting:

> Progress of a sort <g>. Using "http://127.0.0.1:8080/manage" I still
> get the IE error report but I also get the following debug response
> to start.bat:
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>
> File "C:\Program Files\WebSite\z2.py", line 621, in ? logger_object=lg)
>
> File "C:\Program Files\WebSite\ZServer\HTTPServer.py", line 391,
> in__init__http_server.__init__(self, ip, port, resolver,logger_object)
>
> File "C:\Program Files\WebSite\ZServer\medusa\http_server.py", line 549,
> in__init__ip = socket.gethostbyname (socket.gethostname())
> socket.error: host not found

Seems to me I remember having various network type problems (not necessarily
just Zope) on a few Win95 installations when I wasn't hooked to any network.
Something has to force the OS to load the tcpip stack, and without a network
connection it apparently wasn't getting loaded.

Does your version of Win95 have all the updates you can get?  I know they
significantly improved the Winsock libraries somewhere along the way.

If in fact you aren't connected to a network, I'd suggest getting a dialup
networking connection going - that is, the machine tries to connect using
dialup - even if you don't actually have any account for it. I ***think***
that even an unsuccessful attempt to connect by dialup will cause the stack
to get loaded.  Of course, if you have a network card already installed and
it's already bound to tcpip then this suggestion won't apply.

If you have no network adapters bound to tcpip, that's probably the trouble
(no tcpip would be installed).  That's where creating a dialup connection
(it counts as an adapter) and binding it to tcpip would help.

This may sound strange when you only want to connect to localhost, but still
the tcpip software has to get loaded, even for localhost.

Cheers,

Tom P