[Zope] Re: Zope 2.3.0 Under Windows 95

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:28:05 -0400

Hi

As I posted earlier about Zope nuder Win95/98,
I have succesfully solved terribly slow response time from Zope by editing
my "c:\windows\hosts" file with an ASCII text editor to include specifically
the IP of my machine. Be sure to keep the file named simply 'hosts' and do
not append any automatic suffix like .txt or .doc as Windows is prone to do.

For example:

64.7.9.195   jasonic  #Sony Viao Laptop

64.7.9.195 is the name I assigned in my TCP/IP netowrk settings
'jasonic' is myarbitrary name for this laptop

after this one can access zope as:

http://64.7.9.195
http://jasonic
or in IE, simply type
jasonic and it will first check the 'hosts' file before insisting on http://

The above assumes Zope is running on http port 80.
To do this, you must edit the file 'z2.py' in the top level folder of your
Zope installation, and change the line halfway down from 8080 to 80 [or
whatever you like]

# Port for HTTP Server. The standard port for HTTP services is 80.
HTTP_PORT=80

If you leave it as anything other than 80 you must suffix any url with that
value:

http://jasonic:8080  etcetc..
This immediately fixed my problems and I suspect it is that Windows TCP/IP
is not handled the same way Unix/Linux are, or rther that IE is busy being
busy try, to be too smart :-(

None of the above has anything to do with RAM, diskspace, or size of your
Zope Data.fs
Those are all separate issues discussed in this list and How-Tos. In my
experience without first editing 'hosts' you may expreience long waits on
Win32 for any local ZServer access.

{In Windows I suggest you open Explorer [the regular file Explorer NOT
Internet Explorer] and select 'View' menu => 'Folder Options'
then click the 'View' tab and scroll down the list of checkbox options to
select 'Hidden Files' / *show all files* }

If any one else can confirm or explain this Zope/Win32 behavior better, I
would love to hear from you. Thanks

hth
- Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']