[Zope] textarea editing alternatives

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Sun, 08 Apr 2001 22:58:45 +0100

--On 08 April 2001 17:59 -0300 Alex Verstraeten <alex@quad.com.ar> wrote:

> I'm on the long quest to find a nice way to work with zope.
> the alternatives are webdav, ftp and the built-in web management screens

[snip]

> Is there any other browser (x based if possible) besides w3m and lynx that
> support textarea editing using your prefered editor?
>
> I just dont find comfortable to create the objects via web and editing
> them via ftp/dav it's just too annoying. do I have any other alternatives
> ?

Alex:

Forgive me if the following is tangential to your requirements .... but
others may be interested in solutions that may be less tightly bound
to Unix desktops.

It's become something of a hobby of mine to collect textarea editing
widgets. My list now stands at:

HTMLEdit (Java thing that was on Java Boutique for a while)

EditLive http://www.ephox.com/ (Active X thing)

eWebEditPro http://www.ektron.com/ (ActiveX or Java thing)

edit-on Pro http://www.realobjects.de (Java thing)

OK so the ActiveX will be a non-starter for Unix but the Java
options may offer a way forward but they're probably more pitched
at naive/irregular rather then expert/frequent users (i.e. content
providers rather than developers).

If anyone has had experience integrating any of the above with
Zope I've love to know more about it (as I have no shortage of
naive/irregular content providers .... about 15000 as it happens).

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
     E-mail: paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/