[Zope] problem saving file twice with ange-ftp

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 20:53:54 +0200 (CEST)

John Hunter writes:
 > I am using ange-ftp under GNU-emacs to edit my Zwiki Web in
 > emacs-wiki-mode and am encountering a strange problem.  If I edit a
 > page, I can save the changes *one time only*.  After that, I get an
 > error 426 from the ftp server:
That's the effect of the so called "safety belt".

  Its purpose is to prevent concurrent modifications
  to the same document which would necessarily destroy
  one of the modifications.

  The safety belt can not prevent such desaster but
  can provide for a clean error message (that's what you get).

  When a ZWiki page is exported (for modification),
  its last modification time is put in its content.
  When it comes back, this content timestamp is compared
  against the last modification time. If there is
  a mismatch, the error occurs.

I think, if you do not like this feature, you
can discard the timestamp from your content.

Changing source can, of cause, get completely rid of this
safety feature....

Dieter