[Zope] large images to a database via zope.

Dennis Nichols nichols@tradingconnections.com
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 09:23:26 -0500

At 4/13/01 03:47 PM, Peter Sabaini wrote:
>On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 ghaley@mail.venaca.com wrote:
> > one of the other concerns about storing on a file system was that we would
> > get so many files that the inode tables would get blown up.  a single db
> > table is 3 files (under mysql, anyway), and the thinking was that this
> > would shield the inode table from too much use.
> >
> > perhaps there is some other experience with this sort of thing, a site
> > with, let's say, a million files.
>
>I used to sysadmin a site which used Hyperwave -- a sort of Document /
>Content Management System. This Product used to store all of its data
>(around ~5Gb) in a single directory, one file per object. This site
>had to manage around >500.000 objects, so there were >500.000 objects
>in single directory - and this actually worked.

Gary - I'm confused about what you want to do. The subject says large
images and your original message sought a method to accommodate images >
16MB. And you need to store a million of them? What's your average image
size? 1MB, 5MB? A million row db that is 1,000 to 5,000 GB is going to have
problems of its own in addition to the file system that you'll need.