[Zope] Zope support through the community

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 23:34:14 +0100

> there is currently a heaty and controversial debate at
>
>       http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/ExtendedDTMLSorting

Cool... that's what it's there for. Also probably means the right decision
will be reached...

> There seems to be danger that this great support through a community
> member will have a fate similar to Tino's "in" patch:

What has happened to that?

>   It seems to me that DC is far too reluctant to accept
>   contributions to Zope from community members:
>
>      * patches fixing bugs
>      * patches implementing missing but useful features

Nah, they just wanna have confidence in Zope so that everyone else can have
confidence in it. It's a shame if people see that as reluctance, but does DC
really strike you as a group not interested in the community? I think DC's
VC (acronym overload ;-) based open sourcing Zope on levereging the
community in exactly this way so I'm sure it's not like that...

>     * bug fixing patches should always be accepted
>       unless the patch is not easily understandable.

Well, that's a tough definition. Maybe DC's definition of 'understandable'
is different, given they diudn't write the patches ;-)

>     * feature patches should be accepted, if it
>       makes Zope more consistent (as
>       the upcoming "urlparam_expr" patch)

What a horrible name :-( How does that make Zope more consistent?

>       or easier to use (as Oleg's sorting patch
>       or Tino's in patch).

You know I agree with that ;-)

>     I invested considerable time to file several important ZCatalog
>     bug reports with patches into the collector for Zope 2.1.6,
>     just to see them ignored in all versions of Zope 2.2.
>     Only for Zope 2.3.1, the issues have been addressed.

Hmmm, that's a little surprising. Are you sure your patches solved the
problem in the way that would bring most long term good? I much prefer a
ZCatalog which now has unit tests and timing measurements...

>     I still advice people to file bug reports and patches into
>     the Collector, but personnaly I already start to think
>     whether it is worth the effort....

Hmmm... I'd like to anyone get the kindof response you do from the collector
from someone like Microsoft or Oracle ;-)

cheers,

Chris (who doesn't like all this DC bashing on the lists given how much
easier they make my life!)