[Zope] Zope support through the community

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:46:54 -0400

> > There seems to be danger that this great support through a community
> > member will have a fate similar to Tino's "in" patch:
>
> What has happened to that?

Evan put up a proposal derived from Tino's patch at
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/PrefixedTagVariables ...
it's not quite the same but it serves the same purpose.

> >     I invested considerable time to file several important ZCatalog
> >     bug reports with patches into the collector for Zope 2.1.6,
> >     just to see them ignored in all versions of Zope 2.2.
> >     Only for Zope 2.3.1, the issues have been addressed.
>
> Hmmm, that's a little surprising. Are you sure your patches solved the
> problem in the way that would bring most long term good? I much prefer a
> ZCatalog which now has unit tests and timing measurements...

Actually, Dieter got a raw deal from DC on those patches... they did the
right thing, and variations on his patches actually made it in to the
Catalog (finally) after we were able to get the Catalog "ownership"
straightened out enough to make some poor sap nominally responsible for
it.  That's currently me. ;-)

Hopefully some stuff currently being fleshed out at DC will make
contribution to Zope materially easier for some community members.

- C