[Zope] JavaScript windows like framework?

Morten W. Petersen morten@thingamy.net
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:42:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Etienne  Labuschagne wrote:

> Hi all

Hia Etienne,

> One can make sure that only the JavaScript relevant to the user's browser is
> sent (by using aquisitioning).  This gives one quite a advantage over the
> other guys who must in effect send three or more sets of source code to the
> client's browser with the browser (using ifs, etc.) deciding which piece of
> code to use.

I'm not sure acquisition is the right way to serve Javascript.  Given that
libraries that provide such an interface would be of considerable size,
using jars in fixed (cacheable-by-browser) locations would probably be
better.

Implementing a GUI framework would be relatively easy, using projects such
as the DynAPI [1] would lessen the time needed considerably.

There has been a somewhat similar project previously, but AFAIK Zope
development only (Zope Studio or something) for Mozilla.  DynAPI aims at
being cross-browser, enabling users with reasonably modern browsers to use
applications built with it.

This could be the killer application for Zope.

> It there is nothing like this available, are there anybody else interested
> in starting such an open-source project?

I'd be interested in contributing some thoughts.

[1] http://dynapi.sourceforge.net

-Morten