[Zope] Re: [Zope-CMF] ZMI-based CMF features

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:26:08 -0500

Darcy Clark wrote:

> I'd like to integrate some CMF-type features into the standard
> ZMI (Zope Management Interface). I want to do this for 2 reasons :
>
> 1. I'm lazy - the ZMI takes care of a lot of basic infrastructure,
> I don't want to code interfaces for everything
> 2. I like the ZMI interface
>
> Basically the CMF feature that I want most is Workflow. I downloaded
> DCWorkflow and a patch to make it work outside of a CMF site, so now my plan
> is to create some content types based on CMFCore:PortalContent and add some
> additional tabs and buttons to the ZMI to handle the Workflow features.
>
> So I have two questions to those with more Zen than I :
>
> 1. Can this work ?

Potentially, yes.  One issue will be that you will have to have
much of the CMF in place anyway, becase it is "infrastructure"
rather than UI.  For instance, the association between workflows
and content types is stored in the workflow tool;  other type-
specific policies (discussability, actions, etc.) are stored in
the types tool.

It is possible now to interact with CMF content via the ZMI,
although that has not been our main focus.  What you will
miss out on is the "basic infrastructure" provided
by the CMF's UI:  action lists (somewhat analogous to the
'manage_options' tabs) which are workflow aware; "work lists"
(user actions conditioned by content being in certain workflow
states), and skinnability.

> Is this a waste of time and effort ?

That would be your call ;)

Tres.