[Zope] FW: Reading properties from nested objects.

Michael Van Cleave m@slack.net
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:46:31 -0500

I have am using something similar to the Yihaw Pointer in the Yihaw
class to reference objects elsewhere in the folder structure of my
site.  The pointer has a property on it that stores the absolute url
of an object that it is referencing.  I cannot figure out how to use
the stored absolute url to read elements off the remote object.

>From an arbitrary dtml-method, how can I render a variable property
on a remote object.

For example in the following site structure

/root
  /x
   index_html
   pointer_method   (has a property "url" which is "/y/objectZ")
  /y
   objectZ

The index_html file calls pointer_method and reads the
property "url", creating a link to the object that "url" points to
(objectZ).  This works great.  However, I would like to read
properties off that remote item (say the title for example) and
render them in the index_html file.

I have tried this, but it generates a key error:

<dtml-call "REQUEST.set('location', _.string.replace(pointer, '/', '.'))">
<dtml-var location.id>

If I hard code it as such:

<dtml-with y>
  <dtml-with objectZ>
    <dtml-var title>
   </dtml-with>
</dtml-with>

I can read the title, but I cannot figure out how to convert the
absolute url into a with statement or a var.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-m