[Zope] MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.

Gerald Gutierrez pozix@home.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:19:15 -0800

>I'm in a situation that I'm sure many are familiar with...choosing between
>MySQL or PostgreSQL. My main goals are stability under high load and ease of
>use. I don't need transactions.

>I'm wondering what people who have used either (or both!) think about using
>these (or other databases) in conjunction with Zope.

I've found that many well-normalized schemas tend to require multiple SQL
statements in order to properly update a set of records, and so MySQL has
never been a choice for me, personally, because it doesn't have
transactions. If you don't "need transactions", or views or triggers or
more advanced features of any sort, then MySQL is probably for you.

In conjunction with Zope, I've both found both do well when using the
latest database adapters. The decision will likely be based on what you
need the database to do rather than how well they work with Zope.