[Zope] Re: WHY ? -- Performace in serving large media files from ZODB vs from external file system

Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios gustavo@ifour.com.br
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 09:46:53 -0300

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 10:31:32AM +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:
>marc lindahl writes:
> > > From: Dieter Maurer <dieter@handshake.de>
> > > I have to admit that I did not make any measurements.
> >
> > This is what we need, some real world numbers.
>Go ahead!
> > I wonder why this temp file is used....  but just because a file is used
> > doesn't make it twice as slow.  Either the whole system needs to be analyzed
> > or measured.
>Sure, but it may well do, if you have a really fast network or
>access it locally.
>
>  The most efficient solution: read file in chunks and stream it onto
>  the TCP connection.

Yeah! APUE has good examples about what you said! I believe this examples can be found in chapter 3 and/or 4. Another important consideration is to keep block boundaries suitable aligned for even best performance.