[Zope] Re: WHY ? -- Performace in serving large media files from ZODB vs from external file system

marc lindahl marc@bowery.com
Sat, 07 Jul 2001 11:47:11 -0400

> From: Dieter Maurer <dieter@handshake.de>
>
> Go ahead!

I'm willing to contribute... anyone have any favorite numbers?  I'll give
some stuff a try...
I'm actually more interested in size issues than speed issues... considering
I just got a 933MHz PIII server brand new from Gateway for $500, my solution
to speed is, buy a new machine, it's cheaper than the labor to optimize your
software :)

> Sure, but it may well do, if you have a really fast network or
> access it locally.

True, but without a system analysis, who knows if that's a real bottleneck?

> The most efficient solution: read file in chunks and stream it onto
> the TCP connection.
>
> ZServer's solution: read the file in chunks, write to a temporary
> file. Read the temporary file in chunks and stream it
> onto the TCP connection.
> Additional overhead: Reading and writing the file once.

Anyone know what Apache does for this case?  And/or why ZServer doesn't tae
the most efficient solution?