[Zope] is DTML a www standard?

Paul Winkler slinkp23@yahoo.com
Sat, 07 Jul 2001 18:18:09 -0400

Alan Capesius wrote:
> The point here is the programmer mentality. Alot of people that work with
> the Web are not programmers and frankly, scripting pushes their limits.
> Dependence on Python limits the market.

I don't think the problem there is python. It's the names used in the Zope
implementation.

Currently, in order to get just about anything cool done in DTML, you have to
stick in little bits of python code. I wouldn't mind that except that it
requires you to know the names Zope uses behind the scenes, many of which are
quite bizarre and IMHO not appropriate for people just trying to do simple web
scripting.

For example: the "_" variable -- why on earth couldn't it have a name that
actually means something?? Another example: bobobase_modification_time - what
the hell is a bobobase? Does anyone really care that zope evolved out of an
earlier project called bobo? No. It would be easier to understand and remember
if it was something like zope_modification_time or ZODB_modification_time. Even
something like ObjectValues could be a bit friendlier - I'd call it something
like Contents.

> ... The Open Source, Linux and Python
> communities are very insular. Probably a result of the anti-windows rhetoric
> tossed around so much.

I've found that the python community, at least as represented on
comp.lang.python, is one of the friendliest on the net, and we really don't
waste a lot of time bashing other languages (although python programmers almost
universally share a dislike of Perl's messy syntax); and there's very, very
little anti-Windows rhetoric on there.

--
custom calendars & printing: http://www.calendargalaxy.com