[Zope] Propietary software with Zope.

zope@zope.org zope@zope.org
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 05:37:16 GMT

--------------=_4D480005AB2C08F49BD0

> Jerome Alet wrote:
>> > 1 - You can develop proprietary software with Zope.
>> Proprietary software with Zope.....
>> How would someone develop "closed source" software with Zope. ?
>> It would be easy to just twickle around with Data.fs and use "python
>> zpasswd.py -u newuser -p newpasswd" on a fresh zope installation and =

take
>> the "protected" Data.fs to get access into the source code. Or, I am
>> missing something ?
>> How can code be protected in Zope, at least to the same (relative) le=
vel
>> of a compiled object code?
>> This has been a discussion going in our company with some customers a=
s=20
>> how to protect developed code...
>> Comments are welcome. Do not confuse  'proprietary' or 'closed source=
'=20
with 'protected'. One
>could develop code people can see, but has a non-open source license. I=
=20
can think of a few proprietary PHp and Perl products. >Yes, you can see
>the code, but legally, you are bound by license to not suck the code ou=
>for your own version. Bill
Besides all the legalese which, of course applies here and can or can-no=
t=20
be enforced,  I am talking about "closed source" here, this is the=20
scenario:  I do not want other branches/offices that do have Zope=20
installed and due to the current requirements have manage access (they=20
have their own in-house development) to see our code.=20
The need is to put our code in those Zope's but we don't want them to=20
see, access or modify the code.  Of course, pure python (or "C" for that=
=20
matter) is a possible answer but my question goes directly on how to kee=
p=20
code within the Zope environment, closed.   I am sure many people are=20
interested in this topic. I also know it is kinda contradictory with the=
=20
overall Zope concept but, the terms are what I just described.   How=20
would  you solve it ?     Any comments or ideas ?
Edward.
--------------=_4D480005AB2C08F49BD0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
	<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8=
859-1">
	<TITLE>Re: [Zope] Propietary software with Zope.</TITLE>
	<META NAME=3D"GENERATOR" CONTENT=3D"StarOffice/5.2 (Linux)">
	<META NAME=3D"CREATED" CONTENT=3D"20010710;301100">
	<META NAME=3D"CHANGEDBY" CONTENT=3D"Felipe E. Barousse Bou&eacute;">
	<META NAME=3D"CHANGED" CONTENT=3D"20010710;371500">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P><BR><BR>
</P>
<P>&gt; Jerome Alet wrote:</P>
<P>&gt;&gt; &gt; 1 - You can develop proprietary software with Zope.</P>=

<P>&gt;&gt; Proprietary software with Zope.....</P>
<P>&gt;&gt; How would someone develop &quot;closed source&quot;
software with Zope. ?</P>
<P>&gt;&gt; It would be easy to just twickle around with Data.fs and
use &quot;python</P>
<P>&gt;&gt; zpasswd.py -u newuser -p newpasswd&quot; on a fresh zope
installation and take</P>
<P>&gt;&gt; the &quot;protected&quot; Data.fs to get access into the
source code. Or, I am</P>
<P>&gt;&gt; missing something ?</P>
<P>&gt;&gt; How can code be protected in Zope, at least to the same
(relative) level</P>
<P>&gt;&gt; of a compiled object code?</P>
<P>&gt;&gt; This has been a discussion going in our company with some
customers as to</P>
<P>&gt;&gt; how to protect developed code...</P>
<P>&gt;&gt; Comments are welcome. Do not confuse  'proprietary' or
'closed source' with 'protected'. One</P>
<P>&gt;could develop code people can see, but has a non-open source
license. I can think of a few proprietary PHp and Perl products. &gt;Yes=
,
you can see</P>
<P>&gt;the code, but legally, you are bound by license to not suck the
code out</P>
<P>&gt;for your own version. Bill</P>
<P>Besides all the legalese which, of course applies here and can or
can-not be enforced,  I am talking about &quot;closed source&quot;
here, this is the scenario:  I do not want other branches/offices that
do have Zope installed and due to the current requirements have manage
access (they have their own in-house development) to see our code.=20
</P>
<P>The need is to put our code in those Zope's but we don't want them
to see, access or modify the code.  Of course, pure python (or &quot;C&q=
uot;
for that matter) is a possible answer but my question goes directly on
how to keep code within the Zope environment, closed.   I am sure many
people are interested in this topic. I also know it is kinda
contradictory with the overall Zope concept but, the terms are what I
just described.   How would  you solve it ?     Any comments or ideas ?<=
/P>
<P>Edward.</P>
</BODY>
</HTML>