[Zope] Several domains and one Zope

Sherwood Robinson srobinson@fredericksburg.com
Thu, 07 Jun 2001 09:59:27 -0400

At 09:31 AM 6/7/2001 -0400, zbir@urbanape.com wrote:

>For what it's worth, I've got four domains handled by two Zope SiteRoots:
>
>   http://www.urbanape.com/ \
>                             > http://www.urbanape.com:8280/urbanape/
>   http://www.urbanape.org/ /
>
>   http://www.princesscrankypants.com/ \
>                                        >
> http://www.princesscrankypants.com:8280/princesscrankypants/
>   http://www.princesscrankypants.org/ /
>
>Now, there's nothing there, right now ( 'cept a logo ), but I've got all
>the pieces in place. I've got the four domains set up as virtual hosts in
>apache, using ProxyPass to dump each pair into the appropriate Zope
>folder ( which contains a SiteRoot for the .com of the pair ). If I ever
>need to get in to administer from the top down, I can just go to the ip
>address + port and get in at the real root level.

Then when you got to a folder containing your site root you have to re-log
on and you are now accessing your admin with the SiteRoot setting.  If for
any reason you messed up your site root and don't know how to suppress it
you could be in some trouble trying to even get to the manage of these
sections.

VHM (virtual host monster) could easily help you to avoid any potential
disasters like this and when you access, like you are indicating above you
only have to log in once and you will be able to manage everything because
VHM is dormant unless activated by the call from your APACHE.

>Granted, it doesn't take advantage of native Zope products ( which would
>probably be a little cleaner ), but it's extensible enough that I could
>add more domains quickly and easily. As they're personal sites, I don't
>really concern myself with the reliability/robustness of the setup. YMMV.

Then when you need to create more VH (Virtual Hosts)  you just need to add
the proper settings to Apache and not even worry about a SiteRoot settings.

My opinion much cleaner, safer and easier

SR