[Zope] Netscape POST Problem - Illustration

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:45:43 -0400

[<kosh@aesaeion.com>]

> Run your page though validator.w3.org and see what errors it finds. Once
> all of those are fixed check the javascript you are using. It could be a
> problem anywhere in those. I would suggest you make sure it validates
> perfectly at html 4.01 transitional unless you want to xmlize stuff which
> netscape 4.x works fine with also. Often netscape doesn't do it becaues it
> isn't written right but most people don't know the spec so they think
> netscape is wrong.

That's good generic advice, but doesn't really apply here.

1) This example uses no javascript. (I did include onclick='submit()', but
it functions just the same without it).

2) It works with GET, but changing that one instruction to POST results in
the failure.

3) The w3c validator didn't like my example because the <input> element
didn't have a closing tag, but according to the html DTD, a closing tag
there is actually forbidden.  The validator is a little invalid, it seems.

Oh, yes, I omitted the <title> element, but browsers always overlook that.
Anyway, adding a <title> doesn't change the behavior.

Just out of curiosity, I added a close tag to the <input> element anyway,
but the behavior is the same.  So I don't see this as an incorrect html
problem.

Some people have suggested I upgrade Netscape.  I don't need to for I don't
have a problem - I use IE anyway, it's other people who might be using NS.
My company's standard is NS 4.73, in fact, and I have to consider them.  And
NS 4.xx is still in widespread use everywhere, anyway.

Finally, the same html works with Mozilla M0.9.  So it seems to be something
about NS 4.x on Windows +  Zope on Windows  (don't know about other OS's,
some people have reported no problem with some).

Cheers,

Tom P