[Zope] No redirect on folder manage_editProperties

Peter Bengtsson mail@peterbe.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:28:07 +0200

First of all, avoid sending HTML emails to the list.

Don't use manage_editProperties(). That's just for the ZMI and not really
for objects in general. It should be written in the doc string of the
manage_editProperties() method.
The difference is that manage_changeProperties() can be feeded with exactly
the properties you care about, whereas manage_editProperties() sniffs the
REQUEST for stuff it can use. manage_editProperties() sound too similar too
the real manage_changeProperties()

With 2.3.x, be very careful with caching. Not browser caching but the way
Zope displays the content. Many times, I've had to do a
REQUEST.RESPONSE.redirect(REQUEST.URL) to prevent confusion.

My fellow Zopistas,

I did something 'quick and dirty' with Zope. Wishing to use my client's
existing members database, and not succeeding at adding Zclass instances
programatically, I just took their big table of data, massaged it into XML
and uploaded it with XML2Zope. Pasting a dtml doc, 'content_html' into each
folder (to display the properties) and renaming the folders were mindless
chores; I added a ZCatalog, and presto! my first Zope web site.

Now for my punishment...

Actually, all I want to do is allow the members to update their folder
properties, but without redirecting to the ZMI. Yet, unlike with Zclasses,
the standard folder manage_editProperties method doesn't seem like a good
'customisation target'.

How should this be done?