[Zope] How do you track if somebody leaves your site..?

Philippe J philippejadin2@swing.be
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 23:01:39 +0100

> Can somebody tell me how to track if someone "leaves" the Zopeserver..?
>
> I am going to use it for some login-feature....
>
> Stoons, WebMaster @ 3D Festival http://www.3dfestival.com (Yes, that was
> made using Zope!)

This has probably not a lot to do with zope, but more with the way the web
works.

You can't tell the server when someone leaves your site because http is
stateless.

btw, very good info about this _and_ zope at :
http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope/book/chap3.html#138867292

Depending on your needs :

You could eventually open a javascript popup when the page is "unloaded".
Porn sites are using this trick when you leave them. Not really the best
looking solution.

If you only need to have some idea of the time spent by your visitors on
your site, this could be achieved by analyzing the logs. The same ip (let's
say within an hour) is probably the same visitor...

Why do you want to know when someone leave your site?

Philippe