[Zope] [OT] subject headings/clarification

Charlie Blanchard charlie@blanchardsite.com
Fri, 11 May 2001 16:37:33 -0700

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 11:22:04PM +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> * Charlie Blanchard <charlie@blanchardsite.com> [2001-05-11 18:15]:
>
> > but i pull mail from my pop3 server into a single folder without
> > presorting via procmail as many others do. i like to be able to
>
> Why not? Learning procmail is easier than learning to program
> within the Zope framework. If you're smart enough to deal with
> Zope than you're smart enough to
>
>         man procmailrc
>         man procmailex
>
> If you get a lot of mail, it's worth the time.

been there, done that. found that i'm _more_ productive rapidly
scanning all posts in a single folder rapidly and manually
sorting them to the various folders or dustbin. if i let procmail
send to folders first i find it less productive _for me_ to have
to switch to each folder etc. etc.

> > scan the subjects rapidly all in one folder and the only way to
> > quickly distinguish which list a particular message pertains to
> > is with those _ugly_ _outdated_ _useless_ subject line
> > identifiers. it would make my life _much_ less productive if they
> > went away...
>
> Nope. First add this line to your .muttrc:
>
> subscribe zope@zope.org
>
> Then see section 4.8, "Handling Mailing Lists" in the Mutt manual:
>
> --cut--
> Now that Mutt knows what your mailing lists are, it can do several
> things, the first of which is the ability to show the name of a list
> through which you received a message (i.e., of a subscribed list) in the
> index menu display.
> --cut--

thanks Nils, but i have found a different combination of .muttrc
directives suit my working style, folder-hooks and such, i'm very
much aware of mutt's list handling but have chosen a different
approach _after_ trying them out. <g>

cheers,
--
charlie blanchard