A reply to myself (Re: [Zope] SPAM! (was Zope Survey))

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 18 May 2001 14:07:47 +0100

Ever really wanted an 'unsend' or 'reword' button on your email client?
Now _there's_ a feature I would pay for...

Anyway, just to clear things up in a slightly less emotive way:

1. I _would_ like to know where DC got those email addresses from, and why they
chose to email that group of people. (the first part of which I think I'm
entitled to under the UK's Data Protection Act)

2. I was surprised that DC chose to send a bulk unsolicited email like that. I
would be surprised if such an email would entice people who have looked at Zope
and then abandoned it to come back and explain why.

3. The tone of the email (and the survey to some extent) was different to things
that have come through/from DC in the past. I used the word 'commercial' before
when I think I meant 'corporate'. DC has always had the feeling (and yes I know
that's a bad word) of a closely knit, supportive, friendly and helpful community
which we can all happilly interact with. The mail had the tone of the bumpf that
lands through the post from the likes of Lotus, Oracle, all the vars, etc, every
morning and goes straight in the bin ;-)

4. I did fill in the survey. I hope DC find the answers useful :-)

Anyway, the crux of the matter is this. I really like DC and I really think
they're doing a great job with Zope. That email didn't fit with the impression I
have got from DC over the past couple of years which suprised me. A lot. So
much, in fact, that I wrote that mail this morning. I apologise for the tone and
wording, and I hope the unsolicited mail was a one off.

cheers,

Chris