[Zope] [ANN] ZShell 1.0pre2

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Wed, 23 May 2001 15:08:33 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of ZShell 1.0pre2.

ZShell is an external Zope method which allows you to
manipulate the ZODB using standard unix shell's commands
from within Zope's Management Interface in your web
browser.

ZShell is licensed under the GNU General Public Licence, with
some clarifications of my own concerning it's use with Zope.

You can download it from:

        http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome/zshell/

Every time I want to go into "feature freeze" mode, then I add new
funny commands !

New features are:
=================

	* The su command:
		- allow people to execute ZShell commands as
                  another user. If the user isn't a Manager
                  then the correct user's password is needed.
		- Doesn't allow multiple commands, and su state
		  is not preserved from one launch to the other:
		  You have to do multiple su for that.

	* The export command:
		- can export many objects at a time.
		- can't export to local machine because of a
		  bug in Zope 2.3.2 and my lazyness to get around it.

	* The nipltd command (not a joke):
		- search phrases in NIP Ltd Zope's mailing list archive.

	* The shell wildcards expansion mechanism is now thread safe,
	  thanks to Toby Dickenson.

I'm still waiting for feedback from people who use ZShell with virtual
hosting, either successfully or not.

Since we are at making SourceForge projects, is there somebody seriously
interested in having a CVS access to ZShell's sources ?

What other important commands do people need in ZShell ? (except for
permissions listing and setting, which I already know)

Hoping you'll find it useful.

Jerome Alet - alet@unice.fr