[Zope] Wiki vs Mailing List

Karl Anderson karl@digicool.com
23 May 2001 16:59:52 -0700

Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.fep.ru> writes:

>    I, personnaly, just hate web-based collaboration. Cameron Laird and few
> other people suggested me to try ZWiki. I tried. Now I hate web
> collaboration even more :)
>
>    Let me count pros and cons of web-based collaboration against e-mail:
>
> 1. Web is "pull technology". You need to download the entire page. How many
> times do I need to read and reread messages on
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/ExtendedDTMLSorting - just to
> see noone added new comment? Isn't it just a waste of traffic?

I use NetMind's URL-Minder to tell me when the wikis I need to be on
top of are updated.  I watch RecentChanges when I care about the
whole wiki, individual pages otherwise.

> 2. Editing text is certainly weak point of the web. It is plainly nightmare
> to edit text in those small <textarea>s that loose all decent editing
> features. With e-mail, I can use whatever editor I prefer.

There's no reason to edit in the web browser if you don't want to.
With FTP, you can use whatever editor you prefer.  I only use the
textarea to make new pages, and only then because I've been too lazy
to set up the PUT hook that would remove this.

>    I certainly missed many points. I'd be glad if anyone says his/her
> words in favor (or agains) web or email-based collaboration.

It's not really a split.  Email archives are usually web based, but
they're not editable like wiki pages are.

I hate web-based replacements for mailing lists, but wikis aren't
that.  They're complimentary.

--
Karl Anderson                          karl@digicool.com