[Zope] Wiki vs Mailing List

Oleg Broytmann Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.fep.ru>
Thu, 24 May 2001 12:28:00 +0400 (MSD)

On 23 May 2001, Karl Anderson wrote:
> Oleg Broytmann <phd@phd.fep.ru> writes:
>
> >    I, personnaly, just hate web-based collaboration. Cameron Laird and few
> > other people suggested me to try ZWiki. I tried. Now I hate web
> > collaboration even more :)
> >
> >    Let me count pros and cons of web-based collaboration against e-mail:
> >
> > 1. Web is "pull technology". You need to download the entire page. How many
> > times do I need to read and reread messages on
> > http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/ExtendedDTMLSorting - just to
> > see noone added new comment? Isn't it just a waste of traffic?
>
> I use NetMind's URL-Minder to tell me when the wikis I need to be on

   Will NetMind send me false alarm when the design (not content) of the
page changed? For example, if time stamped on the page - will NetMind send
me notifications?

> top of are updated.  I watch RecentChanges when I care about the
> whole wiki, individual pages otherwise.

   Where is RecentChanges on the page
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/ExtendedDTMLSorting
   ?

> > 2. Editing text is certainly weak point of the web. It is plainly nightmare
> > to edit text in those small <textarea>s that loose all decent editing
> > features. With e-mail, I can use whatever editor I prefer.
>
> There's no reason to edit in the web browser if you don't want to.
> With FTP, you can use whatever editor you prefer.

   I didn't tried it, but is dev.zope.org FTPable?

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann     http://www.zope.org/Members/phd/     phd@phd.pp.ru