[Zope] WebDAV lockingproblem with Word

Andreas Jung Andreas Jung" <andreas@zope.com
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:35:15 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joachim Werner" <joe@iuveno-net.de>
To: "Robert Rottermann" <robert@redcor.ch>
Cc: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 13:10
Subject: Re: [Zope] WebDAV lockingproblem with Word

> > since word is a (the most ??) important content creation tool for non
> > programmers would it not be sensible to add a second WebDAV port that
does
> > nothing but handle the Word idiosyncrasies and the forwards things to
the
> > normal DAV port?
> >
> > I would very much like to tell my customers that they do not need
anything
> > but word to maintain their content.
>
> But still we'd first have to find out WHAT is going wrong, as Zope seems
> comply with the standard and Word doesn't ...

It is not a question of compliance to the WebDAV specs but a question how
M$ applications interpret the responses. They send correct requests
and receive correct answers. But it seems that M$ servers seem to send
some additional informations that are required to work with M$ applications

> I think all the software needed for a test can be got from Microsoft for a
> free testing period (some of them up to 120 days). Their most prominent
> example of a WebDAV server is the SharePoint Portal server. The MS
Exchange
> repository also is WebDAV-enabled ...

Thanks for this advice.

Andreas