[Zope] FTP hangage

Jason Earl jason.earl@simplot.com
08 Nov 2001 11:41:55 -0700

I hope you don't mind that I re-directed this back to the list.

Doh, W2K! Darn, I even read that in your post.  It *would* work, if
W2K's ftp command had a switch that allowed it to use passive mode.  A
quick search of knowledge base turns up:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q271/0/78.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=passive%20ftp&rnk=3&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000

The gist of the article is:

        The FTP clients that ship with Windows do not support passive
        mode. Therefore, they always need to negotiate a data port
        when issuing a command that returns data.

Never fear, however.  It appears that you aren't the only poor soul
that has been in this situation.  In fact, a quick google search
turned up some instructions on the GNU website that shows you how to
get around the unfortunate problems with Window's screwed up ftp
client.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq8.html#ange-ftp

Basically, you need to download a different ftp client (there's a link
in on this page) and tell Emacs to use it.

Good luck,
Jason