[Zope] Telling Users to Wait

Casey Duncan c.duncan@nlada.org
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:52:14 -0500

On Monday 19 November 2001 02:39 pm, Edmund Goppelt allegedly wrote:
> How do I warn my users that a given Zope page will take a long time to
> load?  Is there any way to load a preliminary "please wait this may
> take a while" page while the user waits for the real page to load?

The only way I know of is to use Javascript (although there may be a RESPONSE
header you can set). Use something like this as the page with the wait
message:

<dtml-var standard_html_header>
<h2><dtml-var title_or_id> <dtml-var document_title></h2>
This might take a while...
<script type="text/javascript">
 location.href='http://server/slow_page';
</script>
<dtml-var standard_html_footer>

of course that assumes javascript is turned on. What you can do to make sure
it still works without it is to write the original link with javascript and
include a <noscript> tag with a link directly to slow_page.

hth,
  Casey Duncan, Sr. Web Developer
  National Legal Aid and Defender Association
  c.duncan@nlada.org