[Zope] Telling Users to Wait

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:01:06 -0500

Another way that I use:

Use two frames.  When the form is submitted, write your message into the
second frame, which is also to be the target of the form.  When the data is
ready, it will replace the message.

Of course this method uses frames and javascript, but it works fine.

Tom P

[Casey Duncan]

> How do I warn my users that a given Zope page will take a long time to
> load?  Is there any way to load a preliminary "please wait this may
> take a while" page while the user waits for the real page to load?

The only way I know of is to use Javascript (although there may be a
RESPONSE
header you can set). Use something like this as the page with the wait
message:

<dtml-var standard_html_header>
<h2><dtml-var title_or_id> <dtml-var document_title></h2>
This might take a while...
<script type="text/javascript">
 location.href='http://server/slow_page';
</script>
<dtml-var standard_html_footer>

of course that assumes javascript is turned on. What you can do to make sure
it still works without it is to write the original link with javascript and
include a <noscript> tag with a link directly to slow_page.